Friday, November 20th 2015 Uncategorised
I know, it seems to be a bit too early in the year to be reflecting on the year that’s been, but for me, this year really began for me around this time last year. It was late November when I ended a relationship I had been in for six years – my entire adult life! It was a massive decision, but it was totally right for me, and for him. In the year that’s passed, I feel like my life has radically changed in so many good ways. I was reflecting on this last night while having a bath, and wanted to take the chance to get away from the beauty, and be a bit personal with you readers.
Ending something that was all I’d ever known was utterly terrifying. I remember crying in the toilets at work, bracing myself to sit down with him and end it. I had no idea what the future would bring to me, but I knew what it wasn’t going to bring, and that was settling down to marriage and kids with my high school sweetheart. Ultimately, that decision was the best for both he and I, but I felt like I was dropping a bomb on my life, or up-turning the apple cart. The year since then has had some ups and downs, the good with the bad, but looking back now I feel so happy about the things that have happened over the year. These are some of the highlights – I didn’t realise until I started writing it that most of these points have blog posts associated with them!
- My blog continuing to go well. The views may have dropped off a bit after a massive peak from one particular post, but I’m still proud of everything I write. I’ve had the opportunity to do a sponsored post, and have received products to review from some of my favourite brands. I’ve also got to go to cool events, like NZ Fashion Week & product launches.
- Friendships: I have a super tight group of friends, and a lot of them I’ve got to know through blogging. To Laura, Lizzy, Maddy, , Cass, Morgan, Rhiannon, Jordanne, Bella, Elese, Caitlin – I love you blogger bitchez more than anything. I can’t possibly name all my friends, but you all are amazing and I’m so happy to have you in my life
- I got a new job! I never was that happy in my old job, and I’m so glad to have a new job where I’m appreciated and feel like I am contributing in a positive way
- Crashing my car was a low point, but having a new car is pretty awesome.
- Getting on top of my finances. I’ve always had champagne tastes on a beer budget, and it got me into a bit of trouble with the ole credit card like I wrote about in this post about ‘keeping up with the bloggers‘. I’ve paid off all of my credit card debt, and now I’m on track to pay off my car within a year of buying it which is awesome – it was a hard lesson to learn but so important for my life ahead.
- Dating…well…I have had some experiences, let me tell you! It’s quite different out there in the adult world compared to when your dating pool is boys in your geography class. My friend Rhiana has written a great post about dating and it even includes some advice from yours truly. Things seem to be going well with a guy at the moment, *touch wood*
- As a total extrovert, I’ve always struggled with occupying myself, and I need to be around other people all the time. The combination of singledom, illness, and finances means I’ve spent more time than ever before at home by myself, and I’ve finally become comfortable with that. It’s certainly made me productive with blogging, and trying new recipes like my overnight oats, just to try and fill in my evenings.
- I feel like I’ve become so much more confident with my body. Last summer wearing a bikini was really scary, since I was heavier than I’ve been before. Now, I strutted my stuff down the beach last weekend, even in front of a boy!! Having Meagan shoot me for her Fat Girls Shouldn’t Wear Stripes photo project was awesome.
So, that’s how the last year has been for me! Thank you all for being here and reading my posts, and supporting me – I really appreciate every like, comment, and tweet that I get. I spend ridiculous numbers of hours writing, using products, taking photos, editing, and all of the positive feedback really makes it feel so worthwhile, even if I’m not the most highly viewed or highest earning blogger out there.
I’d love to know – how was your year? Leave a comment with what some of your highlights were.